Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2011

French Fridays With Dorie

Honey Spiced Madeleines



Madeleines…I haven’t had a Madeleine in over 20 years.  I remember in the mid 70’s my mother and aunt used to make them.  They used the recipe from Craig Claiborne’s New York Times Cookbook. I used the same recipe.  A nice delicate sponge cake.

The batter went together quickly, and I chilled it for an hour or so. I ended up with more batter than pan, and they expanded quite a bit during baking. They tasted great, but did not look so good. They came out of the pan with more than a few taps on the counter, and one or two fell apart.

I omitted the ginger and cloves, as my family aren’t big fans of those spices. I will try it again, they are a great treat. My Madeleine tins must be pleased to be out of the bottom of cupboard after so long!

9 comments:

  1. Glad the tins were able to come out of hibernation :-)
    In the end, taste is what matters most, right?
    Happy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cher!! I'll have to use them more often now that my family has tasted Madeleines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little cakes are really good. There are so many variations to try, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first variation I have made, I would like to try some others...maybe chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it nice to get to use some long-forgotten cookware (I have too much of it!)? Mine turned out much the same - I just gave them a bit of a trim.

    Glad you had fun with these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never make these because I talk myself out of them, but they really don't take that long. I think I'll be making these more often. I can't wait to try some different recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That doesn't sound like a problem a bit more butter or baking spray can't fix next time. I like the changes you made to better suit your taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My madeleine tins were happy to come out of hiding too. They've been in the cupboard forever, and this is the first time they got used. Weren't these delicious?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for your madeleine tins as well. Make me want to dog out other things I have never used!!

    ReplyDelete